Friday, May 22, 2009

Eh.

So it's Friday. I should be so excited. I am really I am but I would much rather NOT spend my Friday working. I've got so much to do, at home AND at work. Hubby is working right now, Little Big is sleeping and Squishy is watching a train movie. It's quiet, semi-clean and I should be able to crunch down and get some work done.

But I can't. I'm too distracted. I want to go out in the garage and sort through crap to sell at our garage sale tomorrow. I want to run to the drug store and pick up some little yellow prices tags because I am OCD and ran out of yellow earlier and can't bear to use another color for pricing.

Alas, I must wait until NP gets home from work. Oh well, I can wait. I can be patient if needed. Although I really don't want to.

Memorial Day Weekend begins in less than 6 hours!!! Yay! Can't wait for some fun in the sun with the kiddos and NP. Can't wait for the garage sale either. Hopefully I can make myself a few $$ so I can have a little spending moolah for my trip to KC next week.

Yeah you read right, I am going to KC.

Why, you might ask? Well where to start? I guess rewind back to last year around this time, when I was about 8 wks preggo with Little Big. Having no one to co-miserate with me and my morning, noon and night sickness I decided to turn to google, who is always there for me and never lets me down. Google told me about a few different networking sites for expecting mommies. Hoping to find a few girls nearby who might be able to sympathize with my "situation" I clicked on one link www.babycenter.com. A page loads with information about trying to conceive all the way to having a 10 year old. So I create an account, put in my information and lo and behold a little profile is created just for me that tracks Little Big's growth while giving me and idea of "what to expect" in the days and months (ugh!) to come.

There was also a forum for December '08 mommies to chit chat and get to know each other. I anxiously dove in and started posting. Really not getting too much of a response was a little disappointing. Even more of a let down was how caddy, bitchy, hormonal and stupid these women were. Not only did I feel I had NOTHING in common with all 2000 of them, I just felt lost in the mess.

I would log on daily and read, picking out bits of information that seemed useful and sorting through the streams of posts about what to name the baby (c'mon you are only 8 weeks along) or why someone can't poop (give me a break). It was fun at first and quickly lost its flavor.

Every Thursday I would notice a new thread pop up "Weekly Weights and Measures..." The thread would float in and out with the other posts for the week, seeming to stay near the top or at least on the first page. Hmmm...I was curious and started "lurking." I was surprised at what I found 10-11 girls who came on weekly to share their growth with the group and chit chat. Finally one day in late June, I was about 15/16 wks at the time I decided to make my first "post." It wasn't busy and obnoxious like some of the other threads I had visited. Everyone seemed really down to earth. There were girls from all walks of life, all different ages but we all had a few things in common. We were all expected a Dec '08 baby and most girls seemed to have a personal relationship with the Lord which was JUST what I needed at this moment in my life.

I was so down about leaving Hawaii, but so down about even thinking about staying. Work was tough, finances were tight, I was sick all the time and so very tired. It seemed as though all of my friends had abandoned me and those that hadn't were going to leave the Island too. I was sad, NP knew it and Squishy could tell too. Poor guys.

These girls quickly became my "friends" my only friends who really understood what I was going through. They were there when I moved from Hawaii, they were there while I stayed in Seattle, they were still there while we were staying in North Carolina with family. Heck, they were some of the first to know that Little Big arrived safe and sound. As stupid as it may sound, you know, "meeting" people on the Internet and all. That's what I did. I am now friends with 8 wonderful women who each have their unique quirks, distinct personalities and views, but we all mesh together so well it really is amazing. Not only do I have a special set of friends but Little Big now has a set of buddies that live all over the place, from Spokane to SoCal, Texas, Kansas and even DC.

Fast forward to now and we had been talking about how fun it would be to get together to actually meet "IRL" (ah, the dreaded three letter acronym). So we plan for a meet up, the last weekend of May. From Friday to Sunday. Should be fun. I am a little nervous, I can't lie. I mean I've never actually seen these girls much less met them in person, but now I am spending a weekend with them? Call me crazy but I've got a good feeling about it, underneath all the jitters.

Well it's been hours since I started this post. I guess I should go back to work. Maybe I can finish early and still have time to sort without giving up too much sleep...TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy