Thursday, November 12, 2009

finally. a tute (of sorts)

First off I would like to say THANK YOU to each and everyone who has served, or is serving in the military.  Thank you for everything you have given for my freedom!  I am proud to be an American, through the good times and bad.  Happy Veterans Day!

As promised, I have a quick tutorial.  For this...

It fits a 12-18 month head and can be easily adjusted to go smaller or bigger by reducing the stitches and using a smaller/larger hook.  Whatever your preference is.

You will need:
1 ball of soft, chunky red yarn, I used lion brand (surprise)
1 ball of a bright white yarn, (something soft and fuzzy looks best)
a 6.5 mm crochet hook (you can use smaller or larger if you prefer)
a stitch marker, I use a big paper clip
scissors (of course)

This hat was created using only a single crochet (sc) stitch, I didn't even start official "rows" I simply stitch around in a spiral fashion, making sure to mark my stitches so I knew when each row "started."

Here we go!

using the red yarn
ch 3, join ch
row 1 sc 6 inside ring
row 2-4 sc 6 around
row 5 sc 1, sc 2 in next st, repeat (this will give you 10 st)
row 6-7 sc 10 around
the top of the hat should start to look like this

row 8 sc 4, sc 2 in next st, repeat (you'll have 12 st)
row 9-12 sc 12 around (make sure you are marking your first st in each row)

Now we will start the actual hat part.  If you are making this for a larger head you'll want the "tail" to be longer and the hat part to be bigger so be sure to adjust as needed.

row 13 sc 3, sc 2 in next st, repeat (18 st total)
row 14 sc 8, sc 2 in next st, repeat (20 st)
row 15 sc 4, sc 2 in next st, repeat (24 st)
row 16 sc 5, sc 2 in next st, repeat (28 st)
row 17 sc 6, sc 2 in next st, repeat (32 st)
row 18 sc 7, sc 2 in next st, repeat (36 st)
row 19-23 sc 36 around
row 24 sc 8, sc 2 in next st, repeat (40 st)
row 25-28 sc 40 around
row 29 sc 9, sc 2 in next st, repeat (44 st)
row 30-32 sc 44 around
finish off the red leaving a tail about 2.5 in long to weave..  At the spot you ended, start with the white yarn (make sure you st over the red yarn tail to secure it)
row 33-36 sc 44 around and finish off by weaving in the end


Now, you'll need to make a basic pom pom for the end.  (sorry no pics for this part)  I wrapped the white yarn around the tips of four of my fingers about 10 times.  I then tied it in the middle, tie it VERY tight and leave about 3 inches of tails to secure it to the top of the hat.  Use your crochet hook or a darning needle to thread it through the stitches at the top of the hat, then cut the ends of the yarn to create the pom pom, it will look like this:


Now find a cute head to put it on and enjoy!


xoxo

crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy