Monday, November 21, 2011

Pie time.

It's been a few days since I posted (alright, not a few, more like TEN!) things get so busy I just can't keep up with it all.  

My in-laws came into town for a pre-holiday visit and they just left today.  They live in Atlanta and don't make it out here much, but they were able to stay for two weeks this time.  It was so nice not having to cram a bunch of activities into five shorts days.  

We cut a Christmas tree last week and it is standing proud in our living room, decked out in tons of glitter, glass, and vintage pretties in the colors blue, green, turquoise, with some strings of lovely, white lights.  I will take a picture and post it soon!

I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving.  We are going to two Thankgiving celebrations this year and I am on pie duty (at my request).  Wednesday is my day to whip out four pumpkin pies.

When I make pumpkin pies, I like to do it from scratch, this means making my own pumpkin puree.  It is a little extra work but I think it tastes better than the canned stuff.  I followed this recipe last year and it was pretty easy, well besides the fact that the sugar pumpkin I used was SO hard.  My father-in-law had to get out the hacksaw just to cut it open!  The hacksaw was damaged beyond repair and we have since had to buy another.  This year I am using one of our pumpkins we picked up for Halloween.  I used one last year and the puree turned out quite a bit smoother than when I used a sugar pumpkin. 

Here were my victims from last year.

left = reject pumpkin that broke the hacksaw  
right = reject carving pumpkin that made the best puree

Hope you are enjoying your week!

xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy