Monday, May 21, 2012

Vintage charm.

I am proud of this one.  Another oliver + s... this time the family reunion dress.  I used a vintage, navy blue fabric with white polka dots.  It is from the 1970's, and belonged to my great aunt who recently got rid of most of her stash.  I've been trying to figure out what to make with this for a while.  It was one of a select few fabrics that were able to be salvaged from her stash as most smelled like cigarettes.  Phew.

Hard to see in this picture but there are a few rows of stitching at the bottom, which add a nice touch and stability.  The fabric isn't cotton, I think it is a blend of some sort.  Not sure what though, it falls nicely and isn't stiff but very "drapey" and soft.  Whatever it is, I like it.  


The buttons are vintage from my stash.  I thought having a new machine that sewed the buttons and button holes for me, would help me like buttons more.  Nope, even though they are really easy now, I still find them annoying.  I think it boils down to me not liking to switch gears in the middle of a project and change the presser foot to sew button holes.  So I am just lazy.


The neckline and pleats are adorable.  The button tab is cute too, but my stitching was a little wonky.  That was the cat's fault.  He likes to sit in front of the machine when I sew, it is not distracting at all.

Another easy to sew pattern with adorable results.  I've seen a version of this dress in dupioni silk on flickr.  Here is another gorgeous rendition, made by the same lady.  They are both amazing!! 

xoxo
crissy

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your compliments,your dress is very lovely!
    x N

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy