Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter.

We had a wonderful Easter weekend filled with fun, family and friends and way too much sugar. We went to church on Saturday to avoid the Sunday crowds. After church, I experimented with "natural" egg dying. There are plenty of tutorials out there but I didn't stick to just one.
I started by boiling four pots of water, one pot for each of the below:

1 head of chopped cabbage (blue).
3 chopped beets, (pink).
2 teaspoons of turmeric (yellow).
1 cup of frozen blueberries (purple).


I added just enough liquid to cover the veggies/fruit. With the turmeric, I boiled two cups of water because it seemed like a good amount. I boiled everything for about 10 minutes and then strained each liquid into large glass measuring cups to cool. I strained into glass measuring cups so I could tell how much vinegar I needed to add to each color. The vinegar helps the color "stick" to the eggs.

Every tutorial I read said that you need to add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to each cup of cooled liquid. After everything cooled, I added the appropriate amount of vinegar and then I went to town with dying the eggs.

This is isn't rocket science, I simply plunked eggs in, set a timer for 10 minutes, did laundry and other parent things and then came back to pretty, colored eggs.

The cabbage, however, was a bust. After reading more on it, I think you may need to hardboil your eggs in the same water that you are boiling the chopped cabbage in. The strained liquid hardly turned the eggs blue and I left them in for almost an hour. Fail. Oh well, I just plopped them in the blueberry water and they turned a lovely shade of purple. 

Aren't they pretty? I love the speckles and imperfections.

Here are the beet eggs. Such a pretty pink! Two of them took a beet bath and then a quick dip in the turmeric, hence the peachy tinge.


The turmeric eggs are a lovely, vibrant orangey yellow. The variations in color come from the amount of time spent in the liquid. The lighter colored egg was only in the water for a few minutes.

The only downside? The natural dye isn't color fast like the artificial stuff, so be careful around clothing as it will rub off and could stain. 

 
This was a fun last minute project and will definitely be repeated next year. I am determined to conquer the cabbage.

Here is my bunch for their annual Easter photo, I couldn't have asked for a better shot. I mean, how cute are they?! I'll have separate posts up for the outfits I made for the younger three. 

Hope you had a wonderful Easter! He is risen!

xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy