Friday, April 11, 2014

KCW Day #5.

Today is a shout out to Dana from MADE. Dana's blog was on of the first sewing blogs I started following waaaaay back in 2008. She (along with a few others) inspired me to start this little blog here. Dana creates great patterns and tutorials, they are simple, bright, fun and quick. That seems to be her recipe for success and I love it. Her KID Shorts pattern does not disappoint and that is what I sewed up for day #5 of KCW.

I made three pairs. A size 5, and two size 12 months. 

Miss L picked out the fabric for her shorts, it is Premier Prints from fabric.com. It's sort of heavy weight and seemed like it would work well for play shorts. We ran into a bit of a problem with the sizing though, they were too tight for her to wear. Miss L is five and is a completely normal and average size for her age, so, I would say this pattern runs just a wee bit smaller than what I am used to. All was not lost as Miss B gained a cute pair of pink (score) polka dot shorts and Miss L will just have to wait a few weeks and I'll sew her up a size 6.

I made the flat front version of these shorts and thought the white buttons added a nice pop. Since these will take a beating, I made sure to reinforce all the seams by pressing them open and then folding each raw edge under and top stitching them for a neat, finished look. Another option is to serge your unfinished edges together, press to one side and then top stitch.

Next up, the racer shorts with pockets, so fun! The green fabric is from my stash from forever ago, it is almost linen like? The pop of color from the bias tape is awesome, I love that contrast.

I added back pockets and I think I may have placed them a little too high. Please don't judge my pocket placement skills, I need to work on them. :) Good thing that someone has a diaper booty and will make these shorts look cute no matter what.
 
 Last but not least, my favorite. This is the flat front pattern with pockets. My goal was to make sure that those lines matched up and I think I did ok. I may fall short in pocket placement but I make up for it with pattern matching. :) This is another from my stash, I bought it at Joann's eons ago.

I made all three pairs of shorts in an afternoon with a few interruptions here and there. These are fun to make and there are endless options. For an $8 pattern, I think it is an excellent deal.

This little guy started walking full time this week and of course when I wanted him to stand up and show off his cute shorts, all he wanted to do was sit and play with his shoes. Oh well.


Now, go make some shorts!

xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy