Thursday, April 24, 2014

We went to a garden party.

I've been so excited to make this dress. As soon as the oliver + s garden party dress was released I snatched up paper copy and started dreaming of the possibilities. I knew I wanted it to be Miss L's Easter dress and I've really loved seeing all the chambray lately, so I thought that something gray with a pink accent would be really pretty. I found some lovely looking gray chambray on fabric.com and ordered enough for all three of the Easter outfits I would be sewing. I got an email back saying that they didn't have the amount I needed in stock and would have to send two separate cuts (I should have taken that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be and cancelled the order). It looked to be a lovely shade of gray but in person it was more blue, almost a violet. It's nice, but just the wrong shade of gray for what I had imagined. It'll probably end up being a skirt for me. Oh well.

I was on a mission to find the right shade of gray and Joann's didn't have anything, so I tried Hobby Lobby and found some broadcloth, it was a little flimsy and I was a afraid it would be too see-through for a dress, so I used a white cotton to line the skirt and front bodice. It was easier than it sounds, I simply cut an extra piece of white cotton for the pieces I wanted lined and then put the main fabric and the lining wrong sides together and basted at the top and bottom to make them a thicker piece of fabric. It solved my see-through problem and gave the dress more stability.

Originally, I was going to use a brighter pink pattern for the contrast, but this pastel pink was just dying to be matched with this gray and I am happy with the result. 

This is a lovely dress, I love the shirring and the length. The sleeves are perfect for spring and summer and the dress is perfectly dainty without being too over the top fancy. Another lovely pattern from oliver+s. Can't wait to make another with some vintage floral voile that has been waiting patiently in my stash for the right pattern, and I think we've finally found it.

We didn't do an actual photo shoot, so these are just random pictures from Easter. Miss L was sharing some of her Easter sweets with Daddy.

Stop in tomorrow and I will be sharing the final Easter outfit, this time it's Miss B's turn.

xoxo
crissy

2 comments:

  1. What pretty dresses and I love the random shot with Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by. I'm off to look at the lovely sewing on your blog. :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy