Tuesday, October 21, 2014

KCW Day 2: A is for Anna

My girls are 5 and 3 and they love Frozen (duh). The hysteria died down around April, after watching the movie 8.4 million times, but as Halloween approached I started to hear murmurings about wanting to be Anna and Elsa. I tried (unsuccessfully) to steer them towards non-Frozen characters for their costume inspiration. That didn't work, so I gave in and made a few sketches of my ideas. My sketches were approved by the boss ladies and then I went to Joann's to shop their costume fabric section. I got lost in the sparkles, sequins and yards of tulle. It looked like an atomic glitter bomb had gone off in that section of the store, so fun! I made it out alive and went to work cutting and sewing like a crazy lady.

May I introduce, our first Frozen inspired look, Princess Anna's Coronation gown.

I opted for a green crushed velvet instead of black for the bodice. I used a pattern for the sleeves and drafted the bodice on my own (gasp!) that's a big deal because I've never really done that before so I was worried I would completely screw it up. Fortunately, I didn't. The bodice detail is just freehand with some fabric paint. No freezer paper stenciling for me, I'm lazy.

The bodice and skirt are separate, not sure why I went that route but I like it and it's easier for her to put on by herself.

May I have this dance?

The skirt is pleated with box pleats but I was lazy and left out the pretty stenciling that the "real" Anna's dress had. That just looked like way too much work. Instead, I sewed a darker green ribbon down the inside of every pleat and called it good.

Here's the only problem with the bodice and skirt being separates. When there is serious jumping involved, there's a little bit of belly button peeking.

I'll leave you with a sneak peak of tomorrow's costume, take a wild guess at who it is. I know, it's a really difficult guess, it isn't obvious at all.

xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy