Wednesday, October 22, 2014

KCW Day 3: Let it Go!

Welcome to Kids Clothes Week day 3! I am having a blast sewing so far. Here is my twist on Elsa's icy dress. Now, I know, that besides every other little girl this Halloween, there is no one else that wanted to be Elsa, so this costume is totally original. Ha. All joking aside, I think my take on Elsa came out pretty cute.



Again the bodice and skirt are separates. I made a peasant style top using a pattern for the sleeves and a self drafted bodice (yay, me!). The top is a sheer sparkly netting overlaid on a white costume satin (thank you, Joann clearance bin). We opted for short sleeves because this will be put in the dress up box and my girls don't like long sleeves on their dress up clothes. The blue sparkles on the bodice are courtesy of some crazy sequin/netting stuff that I thought would be terrible to sew with. My machine chewed it up like a champ, no broken needles and no bunching or slipping. So I didn't have to do any hand sewing, yay! My serger, however, made it about an inch and then protested by snapping a needle in half. I gave up serging sequins after that. Oh well, who needs serged edges anyway? (Sing that to the tune of "the cold never bothered me anyway...")

Instead of serging the lower edge of the shirt, I used some bias tape to contain the raw edges, it gives it a nice finished look and keeps L from leaving trails of sequins wherever she goes.


 
The cape is another type of sparkly netting that I attached to the back of the bodice. I gathered the top to fit and finished the edges up and also trimmed the bottom in a crescent shape to make it seem more "capeish" (is that a word?).



The skirt is a simple circle skirt, I did some fun circle math thanks to Dana's tutorial. Instead of an exposed elastic waist, I created a waistband and put the elastic inside that, just because I like a clean finished look. The skirt passed the twirl test, that's for sure.

 
The look on her face when I showed her the finished dress was PRICELESS. She was beyond excited. We may finish off the costume with the Rapunzel wig that I made last year. I would just need to add some white yarn to it to make it more like Elsa because "Mom, you know that Elsa has white hair, not yellow, right?"



xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy