Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Stocking up for summer.

This summer I really wanted to try and complete Miss L's wardrobe with mostly handmade items. Miss B doesn't need clothes since she gets to surround herself with barely worn items Miss L grew out of last year. The girls share a closet and Bella's side was bursting with summer clothes, while Leilani's side was looking a little sparse. I decided to start with basics and made her a pair of shorts. 


This is the oliver+s Class Picnic Blouse and Shorts pattern. I've had this pattern for two years and it sat unused. At first I thought that was a waste and was mad at myself for not using it sooner, but these shorts are a size 5 and fit Leilani just fine. If I had tried to sew them up when I first got the pattern, they would have been huge!


The shorts are made from a sparkly, stretchy denim I found as a remnant at Joann's and the trim and blouse are Riley Blake from Fabricworm. Both have been sitting in my stash for a few years, so I am glad I finally found a use for them.


The shorts are a fast sew and cute, I like that they have a bit of a retro vibe with the trim and curved edges. 

The shorts come together quickly which is always a plus and Miss L loves to wear them, another plus!


Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the blouse. I thought she would love it, but I was wrong. The pattern itself is lovely and easy to sew with some cute details, but I chose poorly with the fabric. First off, it's too warm to wear right now, but I figured that was no big deal since she can pair it with jeans in the fall. However, she suddenly doesn't care for tops that are made with wovens. I don't blame her, knit is where it's at when you want comfort. Ah well, lesson learned. I have another blouse cut out using a cotton jersey so I hope that will get more wear. As far as sizing, I made a size 6 and only hemmed the bottom up 1 inch because my child is a torso child and I didn't want this to be a crop top. The pattern called for a more substantial hem, two inches I think, which looks great, but I would have to add some length to be able to pull that off.


I thought using bright green thread would be a fun detail, it's hard to see, but it's cute up close.


Well, I think that's about it. Another oliver+s pattern in the bag! They really are the best.


xoxo
crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I try to answer and respond to each one whenever possible.

xoxo
crissy